What We Do
One of the most easily damaged and common services that United Scanning's clients ask them to locate are underground telecommunications and power cables. As specialist cable locators, the United Scanning team provide their clients with swift and accurate confirmation of where the conductive cables and pipes lie, allowing their clients to avoid damage to these expensive assets.
"Using a Utility Locator" by Macs4life - Own work.Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Using_a_Utility_Locator.jpg#/media/File:Using_a_Utility_Locator.jpg
How We Do It
While United Scanning specialise in detecting underground services using Ground Penetrating Radar, when the service is known and conductive, such as copper telecommunications or conductive piping, often the most straightforward method of locating this service is using radio detection. Any conductive cable or pipe that is carrying a current will act as an antenna and produce faint electromagnetic waves, often in the Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) range. The sensitive equipment that United Scanning uses detects these waves and based on the strength of the signal, provides clear insights as to where the cable lies.
"Electromagnetism" by User:Stannered - Image:Electromagnetism.png.
Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Electromagnetism.svg#/media/File:Electromagnetism.svg
We follow a clear process when cable locating:
- We begin by ensuring the safety of our staff and any other personnel involved, by making sure we have a clear idea of any risks the site may present and are following our Safety Process.
- We compliment this by consulting any plans or drawings that may be available, either from the owner of the site or from the Dial Before You Dig services.
- Based on this we are able to assign technicians to the job who possess the appropriate qualifications and certifications to ensure they able to correctly and safely identify and mark the cables or conductive pipes.
- Where necessary we identify termination points of the cable so that “dark” cables can be lit to enable detection.
- Finally we perform the cable locating, marking the cables and pipes in the ways agreed with the client. This may include marking the location of the cables on the ground, potholing the cables for later surveying and marking the cables on maps, plans or site drawings.
- For many clients we will also provide a detailed report
Why United Scanning
United Scanning are Perth’s best underground service location and scanning company. When working with to perform your cable locating, you are working with a very safety focused team who take great pride in their safety record, their efficiency and their great customer service. Because the team are broader than simply cable and pipe location, should the need arise we can provide clear insights into the other services and structures underground, using our state of the art Ground Penetrating Radar systems. These allow us to provide the full spectrum of cable locating, underground service location and concrete scanning. Get in touch with us today!
Accreditations and Approvals
- Telstra Communications
- ATCO Gas
- White Card
- Working at Heights
- WA Gas - WestNet Energy
- Western Power
- Water Corporation
- Current Driver’s License
- Senior First Aid
- Confined Spaces
- PTA Rail Access
- Ground Penetrating Radar Theory and Application
- Concrete Scanning using GPR
- Service Location
- Structural Assessment of Concrete
"Thanks again for your quick response to this enquiry! Your technician was superb too - very friendly and professional."
Chief Strategy Officer | Sadleirs Perth
"Lee was really helpful on site with the Dampier job, could not have asked him to do a better job... we were really impressed with the work he did up there."
Hannah Wood | HSE Consultant | Prensa Pty Ltd
"... appreciate the quick turnaround and your time and guidance on site."
"I was pretty happy with the way Jamin and Gary worked; please pass on my thanks."
"Main Roads WA engaged United Scanning to undertake service locating works as part of the Northam Pithara Rd realignment project. Although the scope of works altered a few times due to external circumstances, United Scanning personnel completed all required objectives. United Scanning was also prompt and efficient through correspondences with MRWA personnel."
Main Roads WA
"Just a quick note to say thank you for an excellent service! Matthew did a great job and found the cables we were looking for. He was very helpful and did everything he could to assist."
Brightwater Care Group
"Broad thanks United Scanning Services for the efforts and involvement in the delivery of this challenging project and given the opportunity would happily engage again with United Scanning Services in the future."
Perth Domestic Airport
"It's a great outcome that Jamin was able to detect the cable and he was early, polite and capable."
"We were really happy with the service from Jamin in the field."
Morning Matthew, a brief note to the team, all went well this morning which is great. Great service end to end when we required professional services urgently.
Own Valli - Middleton Homes